Monday, April 4, 2011

TLSR#1

TLSR stands for the second round or Transatlantic Letters.
I have started my voyage to Europe with a sudden visit in Munich. I missed my connecting flight so I had a whole day to visit the city. Munich is a big city so all I had the chance to see was its very center, the area around Marienplatz. The first thing I noticed arriving in Munich was this beautiful image of artisan crusty delicious bread. During my short stay I enjoyed the beauty of an open air market, looked at objects made out of wood, lots of natural bristle cleaning brushes (!), photographed painted facades of old buildings, had coffee with ice cream at the most central caffe across from the city hall, sat in the sun by Isar river and looked at the people around me. I found Munich enticing enough to want to go back for a longer stay.
The European reality is so very different from the American one! 
I arrived in Greece close to midnight on a Tuesday. 
The streets were filled with people, the bars and caffes jammed, the bitter lemon trees in blossom smelling sweet in the night air. And mom still alive and happy to see me.
I've spent the week taking care of things, meeting with friends, went to a dinner party at a restaurant where the chef for the day was my friend, and then to a bar to celebrate her success till 2am. Went to the theater and then to a bar to discuss the play etc, till 2am. Went to the movies and then to a bar to catch up with my cousin, till midnight. We have a pattern here.
I also had the good luck to be invited to an all day Sunday excursion to the NE of Greek Macedonia. It is customary for the Greeks to be taking day trips on Sundays to enjoy the nature. And it was very pleasing indeed to be traveling through emerald fields, passing fruit trees in bloom, seeing the animals with their newborns. Life is good. So far.


No comments:

Post a Comment